Cow is considered a sacred or holy in India, particularly, among the Hindus. In Ayurveda, cow urine (also called Gomutra) is claimed to be quite beneficial and is a natural source of many minerals required by the body.
This may be due to the fact that when cows graze in the field, they eat many medicinal leaves which may reflect in their urine.
The use of cow urine for therapeutic purpose has a long history in Indian culture. Urine of a pregnant cow is considered special and it is claimed that it contains special hormones and minerals.
Here are some amazing health benefits of cow urine you should know:
- Cow urine is claimed to be helpful in the treatment of leprosy, abdominal colic pain, bloating, and even cancer.
- It is used in the treatment of fever by mixing it with black pepper, yoghurt, and ghee.
- Anaemia can also be treated by a mixture of cow urine, Triphala (a herbal concoction), and cow milk.
- Cow urine is also said to be helpful in treatment of peptic ulcer, asthma and certain liver ailments.
- A mixture of gomutra and dharuharidra is used for treating epilepsy.
- Cow urine also purifies the human body from inside out by flushing out all toxins, thereby reducing large number of health risks, including diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, etc.
- Cow urine is also used as sprays for pest control both in houses as well as for agriculture.
In addition to that, there are cosmetic products like soaps and shampoos that are made from cow urine.
Cow urine is also used in Myanmar and Nigeria as a folk medicine.
Interestingly, recent studies by Dr BA Golakia, head of biotechnology department,from Junagadh Agricultural University (JAU), found gold in urine of Gir breed of Cow ranging from 3 to 10 mg per liter of urine.